At CoderDojo Altona North our aim is to ignite, inspire and create. We strongly believe that every child is a born maker, however it’s only through providing our kids the right environment can we aim to ignite those interests and inspire them to create, make and transform. At CoderDojo Altona North there is a strong focus on community, peer learning, youth mentoring and self led learning. There is a large emphasis on showing how coding, making and hacking is a force for change in the world and for transforming lives. Our environment at Coder Dojo Altona North includes offering kids/parents access to the right set of tools, development tracks, curriculum content, safe space to create/make and most importantly the volunteer/mentors who support the parent/child team all through the term.
At a high level the focus areas for CoderDojo Altona North include -
- Introduction to Computer Science through -
- Coding in Scratch
- Google CS (Computer Science) First curriculum
- Microsoft Computer Science curriculum using Minecraft
- Python developing on the Raspberry Pi
- Minecraft gaming & development
- Electronics fundamentals using
- ESP8266, EP32
- BBC micro:Bit
- Coding in HTML & CSS (websites)
- Development of simple mobile apps
The following sections offer more details on the content of each of the tracks. All questions, comments, input and feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org
You can read more about the CoderDojo movement at CoderDojo.com.
Tracks On Offer
CoderDojo Altona North operates slightly differently to most schools you would have been to or heard of. At CoderDojo Altona North we offer various creating, making and coding tracks which the kids can choose from depending on where they are in the learning cycle. However the kid/parent team works together and has the ability to move between tracks as they see fit. We absolutely encourage moving between tracks and trying out different aspects of creating/making. The Dojo will recommend course tracks depending on where the child is in their learning cycle and will support the parent/child on the relevant course tracks through the rest of a term.
The following courses are available at Coder Dojo Altona North. Please note that not all courses might be on offer every semester. So please do speak with the CoderDojo volunteers and mentors to confirm which tracks are on offer for a given term -
- Microbit fundamentals -
- Electronics 101 -
- Introduction to electronics using the BBC Microbit
- Introduction to electronics using Paper Circuits
- Introduction to electronics using the Raspberry Pi (Planned)
- Introduction to electronics using the Arduino (Planned)
- Web development fundamentals -
- Python fundamentals -
- Introduction to Computer Science Fundamentals using Scratch -
- Code Ninjas -
- Code Monkey - Introduction to Coffeescript
- Code Combat - Introduction To Computer Science
- Computer Science Fundamentals -
- Minecraft Programming -
- Fundamentals of Minecraft programming
- Robotics -
- Programming mBot using Scratch
- Programming GoPiGo using Python (Planned)
- 3D Modelling & 3D Printing -
- 3D modelling using Blender (Planned)
Please click on each of the tracks to see details of the topics covered.
Parents are requested to check with the team to confirm which course is being offered. Based on availability of volunteers we’ll consider offering additional courses
Access to all the course content at CoderDojo Altona North is offered through our Learning Management System i.e. KidzCanCode LMS. We use the Learning Management system to give you access to the tutorials and also track your childs progress through the term.
To attend the sessions please see the “Howto Book A Seat” section below. Our sessions are wait-listed and parents are required to request an enrollment using the “Register Interest” form link provided. Only once your enrollment is confirmed are you able to book a ticket through Eventbrite (ticket booking and administration). Enrollments are confirmed at the start of the term and is offered on first come first served basis. Drop us a note at email@example.com if you have any questions.